Thursday, February 11, 2010

A skit exploring the Persian Wars from the Persian point-of-view.

The battle of Thermopylae

Xerxes: I have the largest army the world has ever seen. No city can stand in my way. I will conquer the entire known world.

(Xerxes begins his march and King Leonidas goes to Delphi)

Leonidas: Oracle should I go to war with the Persian Empire?

Oracle at Delphi: No you will surely perish along with all of Greece.

Leonidas: This can’t be true. The Spartans are the greatest fighters in the world. We are born for battle.

Oracle at Delphi: Yes this is true. The gods are not on your side.

Leonidas: I will go anyway and show the Persians what Sparta can do. I will encamp at Thermopylae and wait for the Persians.

(Xerxes comes to meet Leonidas at Thermopylae)

Xerxes: You only have three hundred Spartans and seven thousand Hoplites under your control. Give up now and I will consider sparing your life Spartan.

(Xerxes receives news from Demaratos)

Demaratos: The Greeks plan to defend this pass to the death.

Xerxes: Fine I will delay the attack for 4 days. This will give their small army the time to flee.
(Xerxes to Leonidas) I will ask them to give up their weapons.

Leonidas: You will have to come and take them from us.

Xerxes: It is the 5th day I will attack the Greek army now.

(The 2 armies battle leaving heavy losses on the Persian side)

Greek traitor: Xerxes, there is a secret path that your army can use to defeat the Greeks.

Xerxes: Good I will send an attack. You will be well rewarded.

(Leonidas finds out and sends some of his troops home. He now has Three hundred Spartans and seven hundred Thespians that stayed.)

Leonidas: The Persians are coming we must fight to the end.

(Leonidas is killed and his forces fall back. The rest of his army is killed by archers.)
Xerxes: How amusing that he thought his small army could stand in my way.

Source:

The Persian Wars. Web. 11 Feb. 2010. http://www.sikyon.com/Athens/ahist_eg02.html.

Picture source:

Jacques-Louis David 004 Thermopylae.jpg. Web. 11 Feb. 2010. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Jacques-Louis_David_004_Thermopylae.jpg.

No comments:

Post a Comment